August 5, 2008

Rock the Bells 2008

This past Sunday, I was happy to roll out to Jones Beach, on Long Island NY to check out the Rock the Bells Tour featuring sume of my all-time favorite Hip-Hop acts ever. I rolled into the venue at around 4PM and was kinda bummed out to realize that I just mussed DeLaSoul's seemingly high-energy performance. Me and my friends that attended rolled into our nosebleed status seets and began to act a fool in the stands.... I mean.. what do you expect? The performances that I managed to catch were dope overall.

Ghostface and Raekwon's set was pretty good... not necessarily for their performance prowess [uh... hmmm] but more on the strength of just hearing the Cuban Links X Iron Man X Supreme Clientele stuff that took me back to high school days....



Nas' performance was cool... he did a lot of joints from his first album [of course... thats a must] and his surprize guest was none other than Mr. Shawn Carter. Suffice to say, the crowd went bonkers as they launched into "Black Republican" from Nas' Hip-Hop Is Dead LP.



But without a doubt, the highlight of the show went to the headliners, the Legendary A Tribe Called Quest who performed for NY for the first time in 10+ years onstage... and they performed as if they never missed a day on the road in all those years... It was great to see them go through the catalog of their classic joints...arguably some of the greatest Hip-Hop music ever made.... memorable night indeed...

No comments: